Friday, October 7, 2011

Destination Colorado... I HAVE ARRIVED!

Have I really already been in Colorado over 3 weeks!?!? Time is flying by, and I'm way past updating my Blog!  Here is a brief recap of my new Colorado Adventures, on what I'm calling my "Life Vacay" until I find a new job.  So far, so GREAT here in Colorado with lots to do, BEAUTIFUL weather and the beginning of a great new chapter in our lives.

My favorite Denver Adventures so far:

1- Walking in the City- I cant believe how many options there are for restaurants, coffee shops, brewery's etc!  I've spent the majority of my time walking up and down the streets, riding the 16th street free mall ride and checking out the sights.  So much art, such pretty weather, and its CLEAN!  There are even a few places to remind me of home... Iowa City anyone?!?
2- Catching up with Kerri, my Temp Roomie- She's been a wonderful host letting me take over her "dining room" in her 1 BR apt.  I'm bunking up on an air mattress and love the three weeks we spent together catching up, making dinners (needs its own Blog for details), exploring restaurants, exploring the city and experiencing my first "girls night" with her friends.
3- Rockies Game with the PVG's-  What better way to spend one of your first nights in a new city then with your oldest, and "bestest" friends! Started the week celebrating Karina's bday with Sushi, and ended the week at a Rockies Game with Karina, Abe, Jason, Kelsey and Karina's friends.  Rockies lost again, weird, but fireworks were amazing! 

4- First 2011 Colorado Hike-  Rach and I went to Boulder to explore Chautauqua Park.  The Hike was beautiful, and as for details... lets just say we need to try again once we are a little more adjusted to the altitude, right Rach!??!  Rach had it rough..  

5- Playing Slosh Ball-  That's right... Kickball at the park.  Catch?  Slosh = you cant put your beverage cup down!  What a riot.  4 fields, 8 teams, all dressed up in themes... Thanks Chris for the invite to sub on your team!

And yes Mom and Pops... I am being productive in terms of work and living in my new home as well! :)  So far so good with some leads including:
  1. A new Home! After either visiting, calling or researching online I found our new apt! :)  Sneak peak here with more to come once we move in and make it feel like home.
  2. Networking-I've had 3-4 networking events or coffee meetings each week.  I've found nonprofit staff and leaders here to be so welcoming and open to meeting for "informational interviews" to learn more about me, their background and their agency.  I'm hoping this helps me get connected to the area and find my next career step.
  3. Interviews- I've had 3 phone and/or in person interviews with one offer... taking the weekend to determine if I will be starting my next job soon, or continuing to seek the "next right step".... Oh the suspense!
  4. Conference- I've attended one conference and have another one lined up for next week.  Hopefully keeping my training up as well as continuing to network in the area!
  5. Volunteering- I've hooked up with two nonprofit mentoring organizations as a volunteer.  I'm doing grantwritting and research for a peer to peer mentoring agency, YESS Institute and fundraising/event planning for another mentoring agency similar to BBBS, Colorado Youth at Risk.
And to conclude, here are 5 things I've learned so far in Denver:
  1. Don't forget your chapstick, eyedrops, lotion and sunscreen! The weather and mountains are BEAUTIFUL but very, very dry.  Also the sun is intense (I still argue cause I'm closer to the Sun Pops!) so dont forget your sunscreen during the day- as 60 degree's here feels way warmer then 60 degree's in Iowa- and your jacket at night- when the sun goes down it really cools off! 
  2. Altitude really changes things!   Water takes longer to boil, stairs take your breath away (even if there are only 3!), and it takes a while to feel comfortable blowing your nose without being afraid your nose will start bleeding!
  3. Pay attention while driving/walking!  Ok this is a no brainer right!?!  Well..... Just saying its even more impt here as there is always something in the road!  A person, a deer, a biker, a bus, the light rail.  Seriously the most active city with the most public transporation I've ever seen, gotta get used to this new chaotic place I call home.....
Blog Addition:  Update on the focus that would need so much work done the w
eek after I no longer recieve a paycheck... Thanks Skeet for your help before I left, and thanks Sears, and thanks Firestone.. and NO THANKS FOCI... come on I thought we were best friends!?!?

No comments:

Post a Comment